Expat Mortgage Advisor in The Netherlands
Buying a home is an important decision. Buying a home abroad, where rules, laws and taxation are run differently, can present even bigger challenges. At FVB de Boer we believe in serving the interest of our clients. As independent mortgage advisor, we compare all the different mortgage providers with each other, so you can be confident that you get the most suitable deal on the market, as well as unambiguous and independent advice and trusted, professional, and reliable service.
The Mortgage Process
We guide you through the process from the start to the moment you sign the paperwork, and even beyond. Here are some of the stages of the process we will go through:
- We have an initial meeting to establish your wishes, situation, and future plans. We will advise you on what is involved, what the costs are and what you can expect from us. We will then complete the first stages of paperwork, complete a client profile, and advise you on the suitable products that are available.
- Once you have made a mortgage decision, we will deal with the bank, the appraisal on the property, and any insurance requirements you may have. We will check the paperwork and make sure you get all the appropriate information. We will also be on hand to answer questions and give advice.
- After you have purchased your property, we can advise you on tax breaks, administer any changes to your personal circumstances or those of your property.
Dutch mortgages for expats
FVB de Boer is a leading international broker of expatriate financial services, products, and financial advice. Our financial advisors help expats in the Netherlands and abroad with mortgages, pensions, managing of investments, regular savings, taxes, insurances, and much more. Within this website, we provide information on the areas we cover and the specialist nature of what we do.
An annuity mortgage (or repayment mortgage) is a mortgage whereby you pay a fixed monthly amount made up of interest and capital repayment.
A linear mortgage is a mortgage whereby you pay a fixed monthly amount. This amount is calculated by dividing the loan amount by the number of periodic repayments.
It used to be difficult to get involved in the buy-to-let market in the Netherlands as an expat, unless you had the money to purchase a property without a mortgage.
Basically, online mortgage calculators are only able to provide you with a rough estimate of how much you can borrow.
Frequently asked questions about mortgages
Which mortgage suits the expat best, depends on his/her lifestyle and personal circumstances.
With some Dutch mortgages, you have to start paying off the loan immediately along with the interest, whereas other mortgage types allow you to postpone repayments and only pay the interest instead.
In 2013 there were some important changes in the way mortgages are taxed, and therefor nowadays the only types of mortgages that are still eligible for the interest tax deduction (renteaftrek) are the annuities and linear mortgage models, whereby the loan needs to be repaid within 30 years via monthly repayments.
Alternative Dutch mortgage models are mainly variations on annuities and linear mortgages. However, if you take out one of these mortgage forms, you may no longer be entitled to mortgage tax relief.
Types of mortgages:
- Annuities mortgage (annuïteitenhypotheek)
- Linear mortgage (lineaire hypotheek)
In order to quickly assess the feasibility of you getting a mortgage and the an indication of the amount you can borrow we would need the following information:
- A recent salary slip (or one each if you are both working)
- Do you have any loans or other financial obligations
- What are your savings and/or other assets
- It will be necessary nowadays to put a modest amount of your own cash into the house/mortgage. What amount would you prefer to put in as down payment?
We decided not to put a mortgage calculator on our website.
This because of the reason that we have noticed that the exact maximum mortgage amount is often different than calculated with the different mortgage calculators.
Just give us a call and we will make the exact mortgage calculations for you free of charge.
The maximum mortgage depends on numerous things:
- Mortgage rules of the mortgage provider
- How the income is calculated
- If you have the 30% ruling you can often have a higher loan
- If you have complete tax exemption in The Netherlands
So, if you really want to know the maximum mortgage, please feel free to contact our specialized expat mortgage advisors.
We can tell you what all of your possibilities are, and how much the maximum mortgage is.
The time it takes to have a mortgage application approved differs a lot per client and per mortgage provider. Therefor it is hard to say within which time frame the mortgage is arranged, but since we work really quickly it can be as fast as within one week. But typically the complete process of arranging an mortgage should take somewhere between 2-4 weeks.
Activities conducted by FVB De Boer in arranging a suitable mortgage:
- Discuss your (financial) situation and draw up a more detailed overview.
- Analyze your personal financial situation, your knowledge and experience with mortgages, your objectives and willingness to take risks.
- Discuss the existing mortgage structures and explain your maximum mortgage and the monthly mortgage payments involved.
- Assess the affordability of the mortgage payments in the event of occupational disability, unemployment or death.
- Advise on the most suitable mortgage structure, repayment method and how to cover risks. The advisory report includes calculations.
- Discuss and explain the advice given by our office and answer any questions you might have.
- Apply for offers with available banks.
- Verify/compare offers and advise on the best propositions.
- If necessary, arrange to have your house valued.
- Arrange for a bank guarantee to be issued, if applicable.
- Collect and screen the documents required to effect the mortgage.
- If necessary, discuss once more the recommended financial products.
- Maintain contact with the bank(s) in order to reach a final agreement on the intended mortgage.
- Maintain contact with the civil-law notary until date of transfer.
- Check the civil-law notary’s preliminary completion statement and communicate corrections., but in most cases after we have we should be able to secure you mortgage within .
Our after-sales service includes the activities which we are expected to perform by virtue of the Financial Services Act. It basically means that we will inform you about any significant (legislative) changes in your financial products. If additional advice is required, then we will charge you an hourly rate of € 150 (exempt from VAT). This hourly rate will be invoiced if after arranging the mortgage, you need our (extensive) advice on the insurance required in order to hedge any risks you might be facing in case of occupational disability, unemployment or death.
Any relevant changes in your personal circumstances that would have an impact on your financial situation, we need to be informed about as soon as possible.
Mortgage conditions are of great importance. Make sure they fit you optimally, now and in the future. Always make sure a professional takes a look at them.
Things you have always have to take into consideration:
- Whether and when it is possible to make extra repayments?
- Are there any fines when doing extra repayments?
- Can you register your mortgage for a higher amount. This in order to make it easier to borrow extra money in the future for future renovations?
- Is it possible to take the mortgage with you when you move to another house?
We call that a ‘moving arrangement’ (verhuisregeling). This can be of great benefit to you in the future. Not every mortgage has a moving arrangement.
Mortgage providers can offer you an advantage, basic or budget mortgage at a lower interest rate. But beware: the stripped-down conditions may cost you money in the future
Have a different question? Have a look on our FAQ page
Want to know more?
As professional expat mortgage advisors, we provide you with customized advice to fit your personal circumstances. Would you like more information about our mortgage advice and how we can help you? Then call us on +31 70 5118788 or use the contact form to get in touch. You can also pop into one of our offices if you live nearby – we’ll put the coffee on!